- Appliances & Electronics
- DOE Home Energy Score
- Energy Assessment (Audit)
- Heating & Cooling
- Help for Income Eligible
- Hot Water
In-home services have resumed with health and safety guidelines in place.
Please visit our Energize CT COVID-19 Energy Efficiency Program Update page for more information and frequently asked questions or visit:
- Eversource COVID-19 information
- UI COVID-19 information
- SCG COVID-19 information
- CNG COVID-19 information
A Virtual pre-assessment to Home Energy Solutions is now being offered as a safe, convenient first step for you to make energy-saving improvements. This pre-assessment is available through live, virtual discussions with a technician at no cost. Connect with us to learn more about how we can help you reduce your energy costs.
Is your home drafty and cold in the winter? Does it need more insulation? Do your energy bills feel overwhelming? We can help.
If your family’s combined gross annual income is below the state’s 60 percent income median (see the "Who is eligible" section below), you may qualify for no-cost energy-saving services. A technician certified by the Building Performance Institute will come to your home and make energy-saving improvements to reduce drafts and help you save on your lighting and hot water bills.
If your home qualifies for additional services such as insulation or a more energy-efficient refrigerator, they will arrange for contractors to come back to your home and do the work. Depending on your circumstances, you may receive these services at no cost.
Read "How it works" below to find out how to sign up.
Call 877-WISE-USE (877-947-3873) for more information.
Six Steps to Take Smart Energy Action
Check the “Who is Eligible” section below to see if you qualify for this no-cost program.
Submit an application to your local utility online, by phone or by mail. To apply:
- Online, click the link of your utility provider:
- By phone, call 1-877-WISE-USE.
- By mail, download the HES-IE Application and mail to the return address.
If you rent, we will need your landlord to sign a form giving us permission to perform the energy-saving services. You are responsible for getting your landlord’s signature on the form.
If you receive fuel-assistance through your local Community Action Program (CAP) agency, you may also apply through their office.
Your utility will review your application. If you qualify, they will assign an authorized contractor or your CAP agency will contact you and ask you to provide them with your name, address and contact information. If you do not qualify, the utility will contact you and suggest other programs that might help you.
A local utility-authorized contractor or your CAP agency will contact you to schedule your service with a certified technician.
(Note: Because of high demand for this program, there may be a waiting list. The program is subject to available funding.)
Step 5 - A Home Energy Solutions technician completes your home energy checkup and basic energy-saving services...
- The home energy checkup begins with important safety tests on your furnace and water heater.
- Next, the technician pinpoints drafts and air leaks using a blower-door test. Then they seal the leaks to reduce the drafts.
- If you have forced hot air or central air conditioning, the technician tests your ductwork to check air flow and seals any major leaks.
- The technician may install hot water-saving devices, including low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators, and energy-efficient lighting (subject to program caps).
- The visit ends with a kitchen table wrap-up. The technician reviews the work done around your home and discusses any deeper energy-saving measures they plan to install. These may include:
- ENERGY STAR® certified appliances to replace old, inefficient appliances. This may include refrigerators, freezers and dehumidifiers.
- Gas heating system burner and furnace repairs or replacements (limited to Eversource and CNG customers)
- ENERGY STAR certified windows to replace single-pane windows if you use electric heat or gas heat exclusively (Windows may require a co-payment.)
- The technician gives you a Home Energy Solutions program booklet, which shows the areas of your home that were serviced during the visit. It includes information about easy ways to save energy wherever you live, and it contains utility and state resources that can help make your energy bills more manageable.
If your home qualifies for additional energy-saving measures, then your contractor will install them. A different contractor may do the work, but your technician will make all of the arrangements.
One of the additional energy saving measures may be an ENERGY STAR certified Heat Pump Water Heater. Learn more about Heat Pump Water Heaters.
In some cases, your landlord may be asked to pay some of the costs of these deeper energy-saving measures.
That’s it! Your savings begin with your energy checkup, so don’t delay. Sign up now.
Call 877-WISE-USE (877-947-3873) for more information.
Who is Eligible?
Residential customers of Eversource, UI, CNG and SCG who meet income-eligibility requirements may qualify for this program. To determine if you are income-eligible, locate your family size on the chart below and the dollar amount next to it. If your family’s combined gross annual income does not exceed this amount, you meet the state’s 60 percent income median and qualify for the program.
Income Guidelines for the 2021–2022 Fuel Season
Yearly Income Limits All Household Members)
|Family Size||Maximum Annual Income|
Assets, like your home and car, are not included.
You may also qualify if you meet your utility’s hardship criteria. Please contact your utility to find out more.
Applying is easy. Just submit your completed application form to begin:
If you rent your home, your landlord must complete the Landlord Service Agreement that is included with the application.
If you have received an HES energy checkup on your home within the last 36 months, you may not be eligible to participate again.
If your family’s combined gross annual income is above the state’s 60 percent income median, you may qualify to participate in Home Energy Solutions - Core Services for a co-pay.
If you are a Connecticut resident and are not served by one of the utilities listed above, please visit your utility’s website to see what energy efficiency programs are available to you. Please click here for information on how to contact your municipal utility.
Call 877-WISE-USE (877-947-3873) for more information
|WE ALSO OFFER TWO SIMILIAR PROGRAMS:|
Home Energy Solutions - Core Services
No matter how you heat your home, there’s an easy way to lower your energy bill that’s also good for the environment, and it can even make your home more comfortable. Home Energy Solutions offers on-the-spot services to homeowners and renters for immediate savings. For a limited time, Home Energy Solutions is available to eligible customers at no-cost. You may also receive up to 100% off approved insulation projects recommended during your visit. We empower you with recommendations and resources for deeper savings, too. Learn more about this program.
Multi-familyThe multi-family building (5+ units) you live in or own may be eligible for energy-efficiency upgrades through more than one program. This one-stop program brings them all to your door, making it easy for you to save energy. Learn more about this program.
ENERGY STAR® is the simple choice for energy efficiency. For more than 20 years, people across America have looked to the ENERGY STAR program for guidance on saving energy, saving money, and protecting the environment. Home Performance with ENERGY STAR is a systematic approach to improving energy efficiency and comfort in homes, while reducing the greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.
Join the millions already making a difference at energystar.gov.
If you are struggling to pay your monthly energy bill, Eversource and UI offer programs to help. You can learn more about these programs on your utility website: Eversource UI