The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized Energize Connecticut partners Eversource, United Illuminating, Connecticut Natural Gas and Southern Connecticut Gas as 2017 ENERGY STAR® Partners of the Year for Energy Efficiency Program Delivery.
The ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award, one of the EPA’s highest honors, highlights outstanding commitments to the creation and promotion of environmentally responsible energy efficiency initiatives. The Program Delivery category specifically recognizes states, utilities and organizations that sponsor energy efficiency programs to improve the efficiency of products, homes and buildings within their community.
“Thanks to the creative program implementation of partners like Eversource, UI, SCG and CNG, consumers can more easily find energy-efficient ENERGY STAR products in the marketplace,” said EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt. “Energize Connecticut leads the way by helping Connecticut residents learn how they can protect our environment through energy efficiency.”
Together, Eversource, UI, SCG and CNG administer Energize Connecticut programs. Energize Connecticut is an initiative to help consumers save money and use clean, affordable energy. ENERGY STAR resources and products are components of several of these programs. UI, SCG and CNG are subsidiaries of Orange-based AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR).
“Our goal is to inform and educate our customers on making smarter energy choices, and our continuous relationship with the EPA and the ENERGY STAR brand has helped make that a reality,” said Anthony Marone III, President & CEO of AVANGRID’s Connecticut companies. “We look forward to expanding our efforts to provide a positive impact to our residential and business customers alike.”
“We are delighted that the EPA has again recognized our efforts in supporting and engaging our customers to help them become more energy efficient,” said Penni Conner, Chief Customer Officer and Senior Vice President of Customer Care for Eversource Energy. “This is an exciting award that not only highlights Connecticut as a national leader in energy efficiency, but shows how we work hard to help our customers save money and save energy.”
Representatives from both companies were recognized at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C. on April 26.
In 2016, Eversource and the AVANGRID subsidiaries accomplished the following in Connecticut:
Supported 157 municipalities and boards of education in Connecticut to actively track the energy performance of 2,900 buildings; 90% of municipal and Board of Education buildings have been benchmarke
- Expanded the Home Performance with ENERGY STAR (HPwES) program to include an income-eligible residential offering.
- Transitioned HPwES contractor participation to an open-market model where any qualified contractor meeting program standards can participate.
- Increased sales of ENERGY STAR certified LEDs. LEDs make up over 74% of the product mix in Connecticut with sales of over 2.5 million products
- Connected with more than 10,330 Connecticut residents through the EPA Change the World Tour in October. The tour promoted ENERGY STAR certified LEDs and community action.
- Introduced web services that link utility accounts directly to an ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager.
- Collaborated with the Weatherization Assistance Program to help maximize customers’ savings through cost sharing of the overall project.
- All of these initiatives are strengthened through the ENERGY STAR product promotion at the Energize Connecticut Center.
For a complete list of 2016 winners and more information about ENERGY STAR’s awards program, visit www.energystar.gov/awardwinners.