Skip to main content

We use cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're OK with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Read more >>

Connecticut Programs that May Help You With Your Bills

Do you need help with your energy bills? Check out some these local programs.

Infoline Infoline maintains information on energy and conservation assistance, and programs and protections for utility customers on their website. To find resources that may help your family and information on how to apply for assistance, call Infoline at 2-1-1.
Connecticut Energy Assistance Plan Programs Help paying a primary heat bill may be available during the heating season for low income households. Help may also be available if heat is included in the rent payment. Information about who is eligible, benefits available, and where to apply can be obtained from the Department of Social Services (DSS), or call 2-1-1 or the DSS Office of Community Services at 1-800-842-1132.
Fuel Banks Connecticut has a network of fuel banks that may be able to help with utility and energy bills for low income households. Each fuel bank has its own eligibility and benefits rules. Operation Fuel raises funds and designs programs for local fuel banks. To find information on available assistance go to Infoline's website. Call 2-1-1 for information on where to apply for assistance.   
Utility Matching Payment Programs Eversource, YG, UI, SCG, and CNG have special payment programs for their heat customers who receive assistance from Connecticut Energy Assistance Plan Programs (above). The utility matches customer payments and energy assistance based on a year-round customer payment plan. Making all required payments in the payment plan protects the household from utility shut-offs, in addition to getting the utility’s payment match. Sign up begins November 1 each year. Eversource and UI also have programs for their non-heat customers.
Citizen’s Energy During the heating season, free fuel deliveries may be available to needy households. For more information go to Citizens Oil Corporation or call 1-877-JOE-4-OIL.
Soldiers’, Sailors’ and Marines’ Fund Honorably discharged veterans who served during specified periods, and their families, may be eligible for emergency assistance that may include utility or energy bills. For more information go to Soliders', Sailors', and Marines' Fund or call 844-454-8900.